I stumbled across these questions in an old file on my U: drive. They reminded me that as we develop metrics, we really do need to keep a laser focus.
Anyway, here they are; perhaps they'll help you as you put together metrics to monitor the health of your organization or the progress of your program or initiative.
- Will you crash if you don't monitor this gauge?
- Does it help the organizational unit reach it's vision?
- Does it help manage the business? Can you make decisions based on it?
- Can you make changes and improve your results based on it?
- Is the data worth collecting? Does it actually tell you anything?
- What are the things that keep you up at night? Are they covered by your measures?
- After two months away, what do you really want to know?